Sunday, July 5, 2009

Puzzles!

I was just given an awesome discovery! My sister and I recently tackled a 1500 piece puzzle within 2.5 days and I got hooked on puzzles lol When the work week started I had a 1000 piece puzzle sitting and waiting for the weekend but ended up busting it open early because I realized that firstly I was hooked on puzzles lol and second it's an awesome way to take a break from debugging without taking a break. The puzzle promotes problem solving and thinking outside of the box (those pieces that you think for sure fits in one area but ending up going somewhere totally different lol) and it gives my eyes a break from the screen. I had a programming issue I ended up chewing on way into the evening and I didn't want to watch tv or play any video games because I really wanted to keep my train of thought and that prompted me to start the puzzle and as I worked on the puzzle the programming issue stayed in the back of my mind and I kind of just mulled over it while working on the puzzle. And after 15 minutes I really think that puzzle got something rolling in my brain and I was able to make a breakthrough! It's really odd to have something as simple as a jigsaw puzzle have such an impact on something I thought I needed to just grind at but it makes sense all at the same time and I'm really excited to have found it as well. Now I need to find a good place to stock up on puzzles and retest this theory and see if I can't reproduce the results! lol